Paw Prints

The Student News Site of Buena Park High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Unveiling the Magic: A Masquerade Prom

Introduction

Welcome to the enchanting world of our 2024 Prom, where masks conceal secrets, and every step is a dance into the unknown. This year, our prom committee has transformed the traditional high school dance into a mesmerizing masquerade ball, where students will have elegant attire and mysterious masks to embark on a night of glamor, intrigue, and unforgettable memories. As the grand doors swing open, guests will be transported into a realm of elegance and charisma, where the air is filled with anticipation and the promise of magic awaits around every corner. Join us as we delve into an evening of masked revelry, where identities are hidden, dreams are unveiled, and the spirit of celebration reigns supreme.

When ASB  decides to go with a masquerade theme and picks Av Irvine as the venue, it’s like mixing fancy vibes with hidden identities. You know how prom is all about glitz and glam, right? Well, imagine adding a twist where everyone hides behind masks and personas, keeping their real selves under wraps while looking all flashy and fabulous. It’s like playing dress-up on a whole new level. Hosting it at a place like Av Irvine, known for its fancy-schmancy vibes, just adds to the whole illusion. Picture this: all this poshness around, and everyone’s trying to keep up appearances, masking their insecurities behind smiles and fancy outfits. So, it’s this clash between keeping it real and putting on a show, all wrapped up in a night of high school glam.

Getting ready for prom as a girl is like stepping into your own personal fairytale! There’s something magical about dress shopping, flipping through racks of gorgeous gowns, imagining yourself twirling on the dance floor in each one. It’s like playing dress-up but with a touch of grown-up glam thrown in. And let’s remember the excitement of actually getting ready for prom night. There’s this spark in the air as you slip into your fancy dress, feeling like the prettiest girl in the world. The whole process of doing your hair and makeup is like adding the finishing touches to a masterpiece. You catch glimpses of yourself in the mirror and can’t help but grin from ear to ear, feeling like a total queen. And when you finally step out the door, all dolled up and ready to hit the dance floor, there’s this thrill in the air, like anything is possible. So yeah, getting ready for prom and dressing fancy? It’s not just fun—it’s pure magic.

The recap from last year’s prom at the aquarium was a total splash to some! I mean, who wouldn’t want to dance the night away surrounded by colorful fish and mesmerizing underwater scenes? But this year, everyone’s buzzing with excitement, hoping to make it even better than before. There’s this electric energy in the air, with people already planning their outfits and talking about all the fun they’re gonna have. We’re crossing our fingers for killer music, you know, the kind that gets everyone on their feet and dancing like there’s no tomorrow. Because at the end of the day, prom’s all about making memories and having a blast with your friends, and we’re ready to dive in and make this unforgettable. Especially for our graduating class and this being their last prom before graduating. 

Interviews 

Our team interviewed a couple of students planning to attend Prom the following month on the 6th of April. We asked a variety of questions regarding the expectations they have, as well as their overall thoughts on their ideal prom. 

Merrari Rebollar (Senior): 

Question:  What are you looking forward to the most? 

Response: “I’m looking forward to ending the year off strong because this school year has been really stressful. “

Question:  How do you feel about this year’s theme?

Response:  “I really like the theme because it’s kinda cool and I would love to wear a cool mask and it’s kind of a different component I’m excited for.”

Question: Do you think it’s better to go to a friend group or a date?

Response: “I think if you’re in a relationship I think it’s cool to go with your significant other but if you’re single like me you can go with your friend group.” 

Question: Do you have an idea as to what you will be wearing?

Response: “No, I don’t have my dress yet but I want to go for a mermaid-type dress. I want to go to downtown LA or the swapmeet.” 

Question: What would you say is your ideal proposal? 

Response: “My ideal proposal would be outside of school, getting taken out even a friend can do this. It doesn’t have to be a guy”

Anthony Irons (Senior):    

Response: “One thing I’m looking forward to the most is the party after prom because of the movies I grew up watching.”

Response: “I feel the theme is great for the people that want to hide because a lot of people like to hide. You can hide yourself during prom with the mask, it’s like a movie.” 

Alyssa (Junior)

Response: “This prom I’m looking forward most to getting ready for it. I love getting ready for prom, looking for the dress and just everything.”

Response: “I like our theme, and think it’s okay.“

Jonathan: (Junior)

Response: “I think hopefully the music is better than the past prom”

Response: “I think it’s cool but it’ll probably be hard to find people with a mask on”

Josh ( ASB president)                                                                                                                

Response: “What I am looking forward to the most is the venue, it’s at AV Irvine. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it it’s cool so I’m looking forward to seeing it.” 

Question:  What was the planning behind the theme?

Response: “We got a few ideas from ASB as well as we got some suggestions from our fellow peers, as well as some feedback from the student senate. Some of the ideas were Masquerade and The Great Gatsby we kinda of just put all of our options on 5-star for a vote and that’s how we came up with the theme.”

Response: “I personally really like it that was the theme I voted for because I already have a mask at home and I have an outfit I can work with. When you think about prom you think about a fancy dance with a mask and masquerade fits perfectly.”