Paw Prints

The Student News Site of Buena Park High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Winter Sports

Winter+Sports

To some, a new season is a new chance to improve and win major titles. The new season brings opportunities to grow and be better than athletes were the season prior. As the fall sports come to an end, new beginnings and teams are approaching. While some athletes are at the finish line, others are preparing for the new season. Athletes and coaches reflect on their past season and look for ways to not only improve, but to win titles. This month we interviewed our winter sports including girls and boys basketball, girls and boys soccer, and girls water polo, to get an idea of what these teams are doing to execute an outstanding season. 

Girls basketball: Our girls’ basketball team had an impressive season last winter. They began their season with a remarkable 11-0 winning streak. Before their first league game against Sonora, they participated in Nike’s Tournament of Champions, which included more than 100 teams from across the country. Although the team did not perform as well as they had hoped they didn’t let that stop them from trying to make a comeback. As most of the girls were freshmen last year, it was taken as a learning experience. As league came to an end, the Lady Coyotes ended with a record of 8-2 which brought them to claim 2nd place in league. Because of their outstanding record they were able to advance to the playoffs. Amid this time they beat Elsinore High School, Rio Hondo Prep, Irvine High School, and Shalhevet High School. In the last round of playoffs they sadly lost to Rialto High School 46-42. They then played Torrey Pines which resulted in a win. After that they then went on to play Liberty High School, which sadly brought their season to an end. The ladies are determined to win a championship, continue to excel in the future and make the pack proud. 

Boys basketball: Looking back at our 22-23 Boys Basketball team, they started with a  great season but it began to slowly decline when their team captain Jeremy Loreto was injured during their second league game. Even after the loss of their team captain they continued to achieve wins. They ended their season with an overall record of 9-19. Towards the end of the 22-23 school year, Buena Park accumulated transfers to lead our team to victories this season. The new and refound basketball team is looking forward to building chemistry and a winning record with each other. Along with new transfers, we have also gained a new head coach that goes by the name of Rob Summers. Previously before his arrival at BP, Coach Summers has coached at Hollywood High School, Miguel Contreras, LA Trade Tech, San Gabriel Academy, and Cal Poly Pomona. The boy’s are looking forward to having a wonderful season.

Boys soccer: Last year, our high school’s varsity boys’ soccer team had an outstanding performance, securing the third position in the overall league. As we look forward to the 2023-24 season, the team is putting in a lot of effort to challenge for the championship and showcase their skills in the league. The players are currently dedicating their time and energy to playing against D1-D2 teams to enhance their abilities and gear up for the upcoming season. The team’s ultimate aim is to qualify for CIF, and they are determined to achieve it by putting in their best efforts both on and off the field.

Girls soccer:The girls’ varsity soccer team is made up of a young group of players. Last year, the team said goodbye to several seniors, which means that the current team is quite young . However, this youthful team is eager to learn and improve together. The coach is determined to help them create a strong bond so that they can grow and develop together. The players are working hard in practice, building connections on and off the field. Despite their youth, they are determined to make the most out of their abilities and achieve success together as a team. 

Girls water polo: Our Buena Park girls water polo had a strong 22-23 record for their season and ended in a loss against Roosevelt in the second round of CIF. The girls water polo have started their training since the summer by participating in the Junior Olympics. Since the end of their 22-23 season they have played a total of 40 games to help them build chemistry and get reps in. This season the girls water polo are playing harder teams due to the success they had in their offseason. This team is working to win titles like CIF and League.  

Winter sports are preparing for any obstacles coming their way this season. These teams had an astonishing 22-23 season and are looking to only go up from there. While some of these teams have young players, new players, and even new coaches, they’re all still working for the same end result. They’re putting the work in by playing fall leagues, playing harder competition, and creating a stronger team bond. Without a doubt we can say that winter sports are ready to take on and dominate the new season.