Paw Prints

The Student News Site of Buena Park High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Celebrating Culture and Diversity through International Day

Tony Davis
Buena Park’s French Club takes time to perform their a signature dance of French culture that helps embody the meaning of International Day!

It’s no secret that Buena Park High School is incredibly diverse. Thousands of students have various backgrounds that help create a sense of uniqueness around campus. And, the best way to celebrate those differences is through International Day! 

This event is one that is hosted by all cultural clubs around Buena Park’s campus. Clubs like Filipino Club, Black Student Union, or others participate in high-octane performances to show their spirit for culture. Also, Dance Company gets involved and expresses their own skills by sharing an insightful dance routine during the event. International Day, falling on March 15th of this year, was another BP tradition that educates students about the importance of embracing diversity.

“It’s the perfect opportunity for people to make up ways to show off their cultures and express it to every other student at Buena Park and its campus,” says Senior Areily Padilla, who has helped with the creation of International Day during her multiple years in ASB. Lots of moving parts go into the creation of successfully pulling International Day off. In order to hang up all of the posters we see in our hallways, ASB comes to school at around 6 in the morning and gets to work. This year, you could take a walk along a sort of ”map” that takes you to all continents. Also, these students come to the gym on Friday morning to set up more posters and flags for everyone to see. The hard work of others betters the overall vibe and experience of the event.

The tradition of celebration is significant because in many cases, seniors especially will experience their last taste of International Day. It adds an extra layer to why this day means so much to everyone who makes it happen. All programs deserve their props for their effort in this assembly!And, whether it’s through the posters, dances, or performances that students involve themselves in, International Day is a great Buena Park tradition.