Paw Prints

The Student News Site of Buena Park High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Autism Awareness Month

Autism Awareness Month

Autism Awareness Month is important because it is meant to highlight the issues affecting people with autism and their families, educate the public on support services, and celebrate and remove shame or disgrace from the perspectives of those living with people who have autism. Autism Awareness Month relates to those with autism because it’s all about raising awareness for those with autism. It is meant to help people      

Autism acceptance matters because there are people out there who don’t understand and make fun of these autistic people. Autism acceptance encourages society to celebrate the diversity of human experiences. You can support someone with autism by making them feel accepted and like they belong. Treat them how you’d treat everybody else in the world.

Some people may need a bit more support with day-to-day activities than others. With the right support in place, all autistic people should be able to live the life they choose. Autism Awareness Month is going on for the entirety of April. The point of this month is to raise awareness for autism. People who have autism should be supported and treated like everyone else in the world. Autism isn’t a disease, it isn’t something that can be spread, and you can’t get it from a vaccine. People who have autism are born with it. It is important to support someone with autism if they are having a bit more difficulty than others. 

Some people wonder how Autism Awareness Month actually relates to people with autism, the month is meant to spread awareness. How to help people with autism, how to support them, why people with autism are born with it, how it cannot be contracted from vaccines, what issues people with autism face, and how we celebrate those with autism. The month is meant to celebrate and remove any shame or disgrace associated with autism. There are different phone numbers for parents to call if they want to know how best to support and help their child. 

When autism was discovered back in 1980, individuals with autism were stigmatized as not being able to understand emotion. While it is true that they need some more help than others that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not smart, they just need a little extra support at times. This is understandable and people need to be patient when they realize that people diagnosed with autism need support.

Did you know that every 20 minutes someone is diagnosed with autism? Not only does this impact their life but it also impacts their family. Autism is not something to be cured or changed, it is a natural part of human diversity. People with autism bring unique perspectives and ideas that enrich our communities. By promoting awareness and acceptance, we can create a society where autistic individuals are valued and supported.