Paw Prints

The Student News Site of Buena Park High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Black Student Union heads to San Diego for Black College Expo

Courtesy of Brand Quality Media (YouTube)

On Thursday, 17 of Buena Park High School’s Black Student Union members headed to San Diego for the 7th Annual Black College Expo. The bus ride there was filled with jokes and excitement for the trip. BSU head advisor Ms. Salcido led the students in this endeavor. When the group arrived at Bayview Church, the opportunity to gain applicable knowledge on various schools stemmed immediately. 

About 30+ colleges and universities attended this event. Many schools offered gifts, pamphlets, and even on-the-spot college acceptances or scholarships for the thousands of students who attended. In particular, many of these schools in attendance were notable HBCUs. For example, schools like Morehouse, Morgan State, and Grambling had booths set up for students to learn about their campuses. Even schools from the Cal State and UC systems had booths at the event. From those prestigious campuses, Cal State Poly Pomona and UCLA gave information on the impact of black students on their school populations. To top that off, many exciting games took place for these students these students to participate in. Companies such as WWS had “spin-the-wheel” games where students could win tote bags, candy, or even gift cards!

Overall, Thursday was a day filled with fun and knowledge gained for these Coyotes. Senior and BSU Vice President Danny Washington says, “BSU enjoyed the time we had at the College Expo. Having the opportunity to connect with other students of color while learning about these prestigious campuses is something that we are all grateful for.” That impact will surely influence what colleges these students choose to attend when College Decisions time rolls around. 

Until then, stay tuned for more information on college information and decisions from these students exclusively on Paw Prints!