Paw Prints

The Student News Site of Buena Park High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

BPHS Coyotes Favorite Game-Day Songs

Music is well-integrated into many people’s lives, and serves many purposes, such as reducing stress, improving your mood, improving sleep quality, etc. With that in mind, it is indisputable that music has been monumental in sports for athletes. It not only serves as a pre-game motivator, but also helps athletes get into a focused and determined mindset. In a way, music could enhance an athlete’s performance on the pitch. It’s a reason why the school band performs during a football game, for instance. The type of music genre that seems to correlate with most athletes is Hip-hop, not only because of its popularity, but also due to the songs being upbeat and energizing. As we head into the new spring season, the BPHS athletes are preparing themselves, both physically and mentally, to perform the best they can. 

Our team decided to interview seven athletes, and ask them their favorite game day song and what effect it has on their overall performance. Student athlete Boys Basketball Braxton Kazmer’s favorite game day song is White Ferrari by Frank Ocean. The song has a relaxing tone, which calms his nerves before heading into a game. Girls Wrestling Jacky Orosco’s favorite game day song is Everlong by Foo Fighters. The song helps her mind concentrate and focus on her gameplan. Boys Soccer Alex Hippolito said his favorite song is Emergency by 21 Savage. The song’s fast-paced beat helps him lock in before the match starts. Girls Water Polo Mikaela Prieto’s favorite game day song is AA by Isaiah Rashad, which also helps her lock in. Girls Soccer Brissa said her favorite game day song is Solo by Future, but music generally gets her in the mood before a game and hypers her up. Wrestler Daniel Guzman’s favorite game day song is Song by Snot. Song is his favorite song, which not only distracts him from negative thoughts, but also keeps him focused on a match. Girls Basketball Ava Wiley said her favorite song is The Color Violet by Tory Lanez. The song makes her thrive to play harder, improving her performance. 

Despite the difference in the songs, ranging from distinct genres and divergent tones, they all manage to make the athletes have an immersed mindset, one that helps them perform better. And having this type of mindset will assist in carrying the Coyotes to victory in their respective sports.