Paw Prints

The Student News Site of Buena Park High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

XC Coyotes run the show at Clark Park

Varsity+Boys+track+races+to+the+finish+line.+
Jayden Hayden
Varsity Boys track races to the finish line.

On October 4th, Buena Park’s Cross Country teams made way to Ralph B. Clark Park for their second district-wide meet. 90+ degree weather was not a stop for both gender’s JV and Varsity teams to perform in the 3-mile long course. This was also the first meet where the JV and Varsity Soccer teams joined XC’s boys to help conquer FJUHSD competition. Despite a tough battle, many of BP’s runners put on a show throughout the rugged terrain. 

Along with the new additions, Buena Park’s JV Cross team finished in second place with an overall 6:16 mile time. Two Coyotes landed in the top ten at the finish; junior Christian Villanueva in 5th place (19:05.4 time) and senior Edwin Conriquez in 6th (19:07.5 time). For Girls JV, freshman Aderlyn Rodriguez Martinez led the way for her team, completing the 3 mile run in just under 30 minutes. On Girls Varsity, sophomore Sara Juarez boosted the Coyotes with a leading time of 22:17.2. This sort of hard-fought competition was also something the Boys Varsity team brought to the table. With an admirable performance, senior David Juarez finished 3rd overall with a keen time of 16:08.6. Varsity was able to place in the top five, ultimately placing just two points under Sunny Hills High School with a point total of 117.

With overall improvements across the board, Buena Park’s Cross Country program continues to push forward. Lessons were learned and growth stemmed from an overall solid performance from each team and individual athlete. As the season progresses, fans and spectators alike will continue to see how Buena Park continues to adapt to the competition. Stay tuned to Paw Prints for more information on the Cross Country teams as they keep running for victory!