Breast Cancer Awareness Month

This entire month of October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. BCA Month was first organized in 1985 to help fund the research and resources in support of breast cancer. There are many types of breast cancer, the most common being DCIS, IDC, metastatic breast cancer, and inflammatory breast cancer. 

“Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among American women. In 2022, it’s estimated that about 30% of newly diagnosed cancers in women will be breast cancers,” says Breastcancer.org. DCIS, or non-invasive breast cancer, is a disease where the milk ducts in the breast form irregular cells. Because it is the earliest form of breast cancer, it is also one of the most common types diagnosed in women “with 51,400 new cases of non-invasive breast cancer” (BC.org) estimated to be diagnosed in 2022.

”In 2022, an estimated 287,850 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S…” IDC, or invasive breast cancer, is when DCIS spreads from where it began and further damages the breast. Around ”1 in 8 U.S women (about 13%) will develop invasive breast cancer throughout her lifetime.”

Around 3 weeks ago, on Friday, October 7th, Buena Park High School had a Breast Cancer Awareness pep rally to recognize the women who are suffering from breast
cancer and spread awareness. The event drew a large crowd of students and staff, and everyone had a fun time with face painting, games, performances, and supporting the cause by wearing pink

Ms. Nordstrom is an ASB instructor who has been
working here at Buena Park High for three years. She and her crew were working hard for BPHS to have an amazing time at the pep rally. 

“Breast Cancer Awareness Month is important because it increases awareness of the disease and raises funds for research of its cause, treatments, and cures,” says Ms. Nordstrom. She also states that “ASB did a great job on spreading awareness and encouraging students to attend the football game that Friday.” Ms. Nordstrom understands the difficulties that breast cancer comes with. “My mom was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer when she was 12. She went through surgery, Chemotherapy, and Radiation. She is the strongest person I know,” Ms. Nordstrom shares. “She has been in the clear for almost 18 years now!”

Ms. Lesie is our Buena park cheer coach, she says “This year with the team has been absolutely amazing!” “Both Varsity and Junior Varsity have been working hard on improving their skills and maintaining a positive attitude”. “They love being at games and hyping up the crowd”. She also Can’t wait to see what the rest of the year has in store at BPHS.” Ms. Leslie says that “Breast Cancer awareness is important to address as many women across the world are affected each year.” She thinks our school does a great job spreading awareness on the issues relevant to the community we live in. Ms.Leslie also says she enjoyed the cheerleaders’ performance with the band the most! Shoutout to the band for always being amazing and letting the cheer team be their backup dancers. She says ASB did a great job creating a positive atmosphere for a rally, the games were fun, the crowd was hyped, and the performances were top-tier

Ms.Klaus is our dance coach, she has done an amazing job coaching our students this year everytime our dance team comes out they always have done a great job. She says “it is important to spread awareness about Breast cancer because it is the most prevalent cancer found in women in the US and is an important reminder for women to get checked”.  Ms. Klaus supports breast cancer awareness by wearing pink A LOT in October. She also ensures the special women in her life are checked regularly. Unfortunately, she has had many people in her life that have had breast cancer. She says Some have been fortunate enough to be survivors and some have lost their battle. Ms. Klaus’s favorite part of the pep rally was watching the football players getting pied in their faces. She felt like everything had a nice touch, from the students walking around selling pink headbands to the pink face painting, and all the performances. Overall it is very important to spread awareness for breast cancer.