Paw Prints

The Student News Site of Buena Park High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

The Rise of Girls Flag Football

This month we interviewed four students at Buena Park High School and asked for their thoughts and opinions on girls flag football becoming a CIF sport. 

The governing body that oversees all high school sports in California unanimously approved the inclusion of girls’ flag football on Friday, February 3rd. Starting in the 2023-2024 school year, high school athletics in the state will include this sport, joining seven other states in the country that have already sanctioned flag football. The game will be played with seven players on each team, with four quarters of 12 minutes each. The majority of the game will have a running clock. The field for flag football will be smaller than the one used for tackle football, with a length of 70-80 yards instead of the usual 100 yards. This was reported in an article from the Orange County Register on Saturday, February 4th

Corona Del Mar girls flag football game photo taken by Los Angeles Time

For interviews we decided to talk to students at Buena Park High School that have a strong role at the school. Overall, the students think that the sport being added would have positive impacts. Although, some believe that funding would be difficult and attendance to games could be an issue.  It seems like the approval for girls flag football is a positive step in California high schools, but the Fullerton Joint Union High School District is still evaluating its inclusion. The potential challenges, including financial considerations and finding suitable facilities, highlight the broader aspects involved in implementing a new sports program. We can’t wait to see what’s to come with girls flag football.